PhD in Australia
- Which country and university did you choose for your PhD and why?
I did my PhD from Monash University, Australia. I found the PI’s work pretty interesting and the scholarship package looked attractive. Also, PhD in Australia has to be completed in 3.5 to 4 years and that’s why I chose Australia.
- How the education system is different from your home country?
There wasn’t any course work for PhD when I started (It was later introduced). Also, the system encouraged me to work independently after proper training. I was also offered free English writing and speaking classes as I am a non-native English person.
- How smooth was your PhD years and how long did you take to finish it?
It took me 4 years to finish my PhD and I did it at my own phase. There wasn’t any peer or publication pressure to submit the thesis.
- Which scholarship did you apply for or was it self-sponsored?
I was nominated for Victoria India Doctoral Fellowship (Living expenses), Monash International Postgraduate Scholarship-MIPRS (Tuition fee) and Monash graduate scholarship-MGS (Living expenses). I was awarded MIPRS and MGS.
- What would you suggest for the students who are looking for a PhD abroad?
I would definitely recommend Australia for the Masters’ students to do their PhD. With 3.5 to 4 years’ time span and lot of scholarship opportunities, Australia is definitely “to go” place. The culture, weather and safety will very much make the students comfortable.